PREMISE: The South Dakota Firefighter's Association (SDFA) recognizes the need to honor those people who have made a significant contribution to the fire service of the state.
PURPOSE: The purpose of this GOG is to establish the rules and procedures for the selection and disposition of Life Member for the SDFA.
SCOPE: This GOG will apply to all fire departments, firefighters and other agencies that maybe considered for life membership. Original Issue: June 8, 2000 Revised: September 24, 2004
- 1.1. Nomination for life membership must come from a member of the member-in-nomination’s fire department or a member of the SDFA Board of Directors.
- 1.2. Member-in-nominations may be retired from a fire department, inactive, exempt, or on a leave of absence due to health.
- 1.3. Nominations must be made in writing to the Board of Directors to be considered. This letter of nomination must be addressed to the SDFA sixty (60) days prior to the State Fire School, and include explanations of the nominee’s contributions to the State Fire Service.
- 1.4. Nomination should be from current or past fire chief, mayor, chair of county commissioners, or other official directly associated with the fire department.
- 1.5. Nominations must include: awards, years of service, letters of endorsement, not to exceed five (5) in number.
2. Rules for Selection
- 2.1. Department must provide reasonable proof that nominee has been member of the SDFA for more than 15 years,
- 2.2. Membership must be an individual or 100%,
- 2.3. Membership must be continuous for 10 years,
- 2.4. Member must have been or be a member in good standing in a volunteer, career or combination fire department in South Dakota and has made a significant contribution for the State Fire Service.
- 3.1. The authority to grant Life Honorary Membership shall be in accordance with the Bylaws of the SDFA and final acceptance authority rests with the Board of Directors decision.
- 3.2. Life Honorary Membership is issued once, and cannot be recalled.
- 3.3. Two persons cannot share Life Honorary Memberships, i.e. spouses, significant others or lifetime partners.
- 3.4. The right, honors and privileges granted shall be only granted by a unanimous decision of the Board of Directors.
4. Rights, Privileges, Honors
- 4.1. Life Honorary Memberships conveys the right to vote in elections, to hold office and to serve on any and all committees.
- 4.2. Life Honorary Membership waives the registration fees at State Fire School, any District Fire School and other events sponsored by the SDFA.
- 4.3. Life Honorary Memberships allows the person to receive and be recognized for their contributions by plaques, decrees, resolutions, specialized membership cards and others as deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors of SDFA.